Contributed by Carol McCoy
1 onion chopped
1/4C olive oil
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried basil
1 (14.5oz) can crushed tomatoes
2C dried lentils
1/2C fresh spinach, rinsed & thinly sliced
salt & pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 mins.
- Stir in lentils and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to serve stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts.
- Stir in vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper, and more vinegar if desired.
Don't forget that you can add or delete any item you want. Personally I would use several different colors of lentils and also add a little pasta of some kind. And any additional veggies you might want to add. ~ Enjoy!